Sunday, July 27, 2008

Moving On: What about the relationships?

It took me quite a while to get back on this one. Eventually I knew I had to post something on here to keep this blog going. About a month ago, I took off from my beloved small town of LaMoure, after a two year stint as a youth pastor. If you've ever lived in a small town then you would probably know the effects it had on me. I have rightfully claimed it was by far the best experience I have ever had in my entire life. The main reason supporting this claim is the relationships I established with almost the entire community of over 900 people. To some, that is a pretty small town but there was always more to the town than just a small town label. Apart from that it brought back to the good old memories of growing up in rural Kenya.

Growing up, there was a clear sense of community wherever you went. Whether it was at the village market or the old prairie church or on the corridors of the mud-walled elementary schools, you always never failed to sense somebody was looking out for you. I remember being punished for wrongdoing by people I didn't even know. I remember being aided by people I had never even met. All these happened the moment I arrived in the small town of LaMoure. During my time at the seminary in Kansas City, my fellow students have always wondered what in the world led me to LaMoure and how I survived two winters there. To them it is probably the most fascinating thing that they have ever heard of. To me, it was just another wonderful life experience.

Here is my point. When I first arrived in LaMoure, there was a little curiosity by a lot of people to know who I was and where I came from and some of my stories, both good and bad. After a while, everybody seemed to have known me inside out. There is always a small town mentality where people tend to share stories and spread news very quickly. Suddenly people I had not met or even remembered anything about began to say hello to me and tell how good it was to have me in the town. I was kind of fascinated by that having lived for a while in Nairobi. Life was totally different when I moved to Nairobi in 2003 after high school. It was even hard to know who lived next door no matter how many times you met. So when I came to LaMoure, my values were reinforced and once again I began to develop relationships. I was always taught to value relationships with people no matter where they came from, their background and everything that defined them. Nairobi seemed to have taken that away from me. The teens especially made my life what it is and for the first time I knew that people whom you didn't even know still cared.

Eventually, it was time for me to move on. I had arrived without any friends yet I left having developed many relationships. I don't know how long those relationships will last but I know for sure that they existed at one point in life. Nevertheless, there is only one relationship that can never be broken. The relationship with our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. We have to remember that we are capable of walking away from it but he will never leave us nor forsake us. So you know that I am a true Wesleyan.

18 comments:

Kate said...

I don't know what you're going to post here Philip but I am sad, yet excited for you, that you are moving on. I am really going to miss you. But the relationships you have with me and my family will still be there. We'll keep in touch. We love you!

Philip Friday said...

Kate thanks for your comment even though it took me a while to put something on here. I truly appreciate your support and enjoy everything you did for me. I will always love you and your family. Your kids rock.

Anonymous said...

Very good article I enjoy your website keep up the great blog posts

Anonymous said...

Really love all these stories.. have been reading them daily. Please add more if you have any… Thanks a lot again for this awesome work.

Anonymous said...

Considerably, the blog post is actually the greatest on this worthy topic. I concur with your decisions and will thirstily look forward to see your approaching updates. Saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the phenomenal lucidity in your writing. I will at once grab your feeds to stay informed of any updates. Delightful work and much success in your business endeavors! Have a nice day

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this also – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get anything done… Regards…

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! I do welcome the tabs placed on the top!

Anonymous said...

Sorry my english, but this is great site, I wil add to my favorites.

Anonymous said...

a very inspiring sroties…great thanx to you and to all the people who develope this site. keep going and good luck.

Anonymous said...

Thank. It makes me feel great when I read all these stories. It helps me from hopelessness and make me more stronger to fly… thank… for everything. Love

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really like the theme. I want to add a banner to the top right-hand space for an advertiser… how would I do that?

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading a lot and your stories are worth reading, nice blog, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Seems like sellers of these things simply have another model for generating revenue. To this end, I’ll look for other, less expensive, marketing tools. Thanks for this hard research.

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest website and stories that i have ever read…its useful for me as im a lecturer and always motivate my students with these publised stories…thank you …and waiting for plenty more…

Anonymous said...

I don’t quit and keep penning mainly because it simply just that is worth to read it.

Anonymous said...

I don’t quit and keep penning mainly because it simply just that is worth to read it.

Anonymous said...

Do not usually post on blogs, but I would like to post it really forced me to not be so! very nice post.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog just now.You blog is very useful to me.I bookmark your blog!:D